September is the time when everybody gets back to work after vacations, time at the cottage, back-to-school prep, and the many other pleasant distractions of summer. What’s a consultant to do if they’ve let their marketing efforts taper off? Here are half-a-dozen simple back-to-work ideas that don’t take hardly any budget.
- Call that prospect who had a project on hold… you probably keep in close contact with your biggest clients over the summer, but what about those prospects who never made a decision? Call them and see if they want to get started now that summer’s over.
- Attend a new networking event… try out that industry association or Chamber of Commerce meeting that you’ve been meaning to go to but never did.
- Drop off donuts — or bagels — the day after Labour Day… at a client’s office and include a note wishing them a good start to the fall.
- Start a client referral program… if you can identify other businesses that deal with the same target client, see if you can collaborate on referrals. It doesn’t have to be too formal, but even just letting them know what kind of services you can provide and equipping them with a few business cards and brochures to hand out is a start. Of course, you’re going to do the same for them.
- Do an email blast — or mail out — to past clients… and let them know that you’re still around and open for business. They might be kicking around ideas and just need a reminder that you’re there to help.
- Bump up your social media efforts… put a little more effort into your social media efforts. Chances are everybody else will be doing this, so you might lose out if you don’t do it.